How To Speed Up Recovery and Heal Quickly
Got an injury? Here are 13 tips to speed up recovery and get you back in the game as quickly as possible.
A little while back I wrote an email titled: How to work around an injury, where I talked about how I broke my toe. If you missed it, you can click on the link above to have a read.
In that email, I casually mentioned that… I tend to heal quickly.
Well, apart from all the well-wishes I got (thank you by the way, my toe is all better now); I had a number of people ask what are my secrets to healing quickly?
I’d never really given it much thought before, so I decided to jot a few things down to try and explain why I heal quickly. And what you can do to speed up the recovery process if you’re trying to get over an injury.
Start with the right “Mindset”
- Be patient and respect the injury. Give it the time it needs to heal properly, and don’t rush it or push it before it is ready.
- Don’t ignore the injury and just hope it will go away. Especially small injuries.
- Start treatment as early as possible, and follow a structured rehabilitation program.
Diet and Nutrition are key
- Eat 100% certified organic fruits, vegetable and meats. Cut out processed food and eliminate as many additives and preservatives as you can.
- Eat slowly and chew your food. You shouldn’t just eat food for the sake of eating; you should enjoy and savour every mouthful.
- Increase your intake of good quality, organic animal protein: It’s vital for soft tissue repair.
- And I know you’ve heard this one before, but drink more filtered water.
- Aim to get 9 hours sleep a night. I know that may seem unrealistic (and I rarely get 9 hours myself), but try to aim for that. You’ll be surprised what a good sleep will do for you.
- Improve your general health, fitness and well-being: Stay active, get regular exercise, and work on your cardiovascular fitness, your strength and your flexibility.
I’m not a big fan of taking a lot of pills, potions and powders, but here are a few supplements that have helped me.
- Vitamin C: Good old vitamin C (or ascorbic acid) is a great antioxidant. Try and get it in powder form and look for a GMO free product.
- MSM Sulfur: MSM Sulfur is very important for tissue regeneration. Look for it in a pure powder form.
- Branch Chain Amino Acids: The BCAA’s L-Leucine, L-Valine and L-Isoleucine are very effective in assisting muscle recovery and repair. Again, look for it in powder form.
- Heal-n-Sooth: Heal-n-Soothe helps to reduce pain, inflammation and swelling. You can order Heal-n-Soothe or learn more about it here.
So there you have it. If you’re struggling to get over an injury, or you’re just sick and tired of the long slow recovery period, try some of the tips above to speed up your recovery and get back in the game as quickly as possible.
About the Author: Brad is often referred to as the "Stretch Coach" and has even been called the Stretching Guru. Magazines such as Runners World, Bicycling, Triathlete, Swimming & Fitness, and Triathlon Sports have all featured his work. Amazon has listed his books on five Best-Seller lists. Google cites over 100,000 references to him and his work on the internet. And satisfied customers from 122 countries have sent 100's of testimonials. If you want to know about stretching, flexibility or sports injury management, Brad Walker is the go-to-guy.